Thursday, September 6, 2012

Seifert Surface for a link with 3 unknots in beads

Last night I was playing with herringbone beaded ribbon with four beads in each row.  I made three pieces of ribbon attached at one end, and twisted each piece (all with S-twists) before joining them at their other ends.  I colored the three edges orange, blue, and gray using size 8/0 seed beads, and I used black size 11/0 in the interior of the ribbons.   I ended up with this Seifert surface for a link with three components, in which each pair is linked.  I wasn't sure precisely what I was going for, so it was a fun challenge to identify what it was after it was finished.  This piece has two faces and three edges.  It's a little lumpy and crooked, but I was just fiddling around with a new idea, so I'm not going to worry too much about aesthetics.

4 comments:

  1. Playing is a great way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - that is some twisted beading :) new follower! Bobbie sent me over to your blog and I can see why - wonderful beading here!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...