Sunday, November 27, 2011

Wonka of Wonderland Top Hat #5

Last night, I finally finished a custom order for another top hat.   This one is number 5. 
This photo above is now the logo for RWS Associates.  What these photos don't convey is how springing this hat is.  If you bend the brim, it will spring right back into shape. 
What you also can't see is that inside of the silk and cotton fabrics are stiff double buckram and wire, which together, give this hat its form.  Double buckram is two layers of cotton fabric with a thick coating of sizing.  Sizing is a combination of glue and stiffener that can be re-wet with water or steam to sculpt it.  When it dries again, it stays in whatever shape you left it to dry.  To shape this hat, I only used a bit of steam as the wire is doing much of the work.  I really love the sculptural possibilities of wire and buckram, but they require a very firm grasp when working with them, and sewing through the buckram requires strong fingers.   

I figured out that sewing cut up felted wool sweaters is much easier on my hands.  So, now I make top hats with felt, like this one.
They are so soft, cozy, and comfortable that I also wrote and illustrated a tutorial on how to make a top hat with felted wool sweaters.  So you can make one too.
Want to own one of my hand made hats?  See what hats are for sale in my Etsy shop. Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

  1. Удивительная шляпа! Вы просто волшебница))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Благодарю Вас за Ваше любезное комментарий.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I order one of these hats from you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one currently for sale in my Etsy shop. http://www.etsy.com/shop/gwenbeads?section_id=6941951 If you would like one custom made, they are $500.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I came across this hat on pinterest a while ago and fell in love. I've been looking around in all different hat shops in Ohio, and can't find any quite like this one. I was just wondering how I could purchase one of these beauties off you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I no longer make these hats. They are too difficult. Double buckram and hat wire are a pain to work with.

      Delete
    2. I understand completely. Do you make any hats similar to this style that I could look at?

      Delete
    3. Let's have this conversation via email. I am gwen at beadinfinitum dot com. Thanks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...