Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Finished Jacket with Lining

I finished the jacket yesterday, all except the tacking of the lining to the jacket along the bottom hem.  Here you can see the stitching I did along the edge of the collar.  This collar is very 1930s.
Here is the inside of the sleeve at the shoulder.  This could have been neater, but I was rushed. Here is the cuff of the sleeve.  The length of the lining came out perfect.  It just needs some pressing.

Here is the inside bottom edge of the jacket.  You can see that I left a lot of extra fabric in the seam allowance so that the jacket can be taken out later if needed.

And finally, here is the finished jacket front and back.  I'm not thrilled with the way the sleeves are set; they're a bit lopsided and lumpy at the top but it doesn't have any shoulder pads, which would have helped them sit better on the dress form.  We didn't use pads because the actress has rather broad shoulders, unlike this dress form.  I'm hopeful that the jacket will hang better on the actress for whom it was fit.   I am happy that the plaids line up well, and the collar is mostly symmetrical.  Live and learn.


  1. This was somewhat helpful to me. I have a jacket and lining that has been cut out for more than 20 years. I have all the pieces but not the instructions for the construction. It uses a loose herringbone stitch on the collar to pad it into the proper shape. That part was done as was the front welted pockets. It has a pleat on each side in the back and I have totally forgotten who to insert the lining around those pleats. I found you on google. Thanks for the information.

    1. Pamela, thank you for your comments. You might also find these two posts useful:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...