I NEEDED a bustle to go with my bloomers. I used Butterick Pattern 3737. Since I've got a never ending stash of quilting cottons, I used those, plus, the fabric matches the bloomers. Most of my scraps are a quarter yard or less, so I had to use a different color for each tier. Unlike the pattern suggested, I actually hemmed all of the flounces. So many ruffles! Also, I enlarged the pattern significantly to fit all the way around my hips.
Here you can see the circle flounces cut and ready to be sewn. I made my circles a little larger than the ones in the pattern, both on the inside and outside.
Here's a shot of me trying on the unfinished bustle with the first 3 rows of flounces sewn on. I pinned it to my sweater because there's no waistband yet. I kind of like the look of 3 rows of flounces. I think if I do something like this again, I'll just use 3 rows of flounces instead of 7. More isn't always better, especially when it's more work.
What I learned: I learned that you can make an easy waistband with two layers of grossgrain ribbon. I learned that you can make ruffles from circles instead of strips. This way, you don't need to gather, which is nice.